A bumper crop of GCSE results is the latest success for the students at Saint Paul’s Catholic High School in Wythenshawe, Greater Manchester who announced significantly improved GCSE exam results.
We have seen improvements in all key areas since the 2019 results which was the last time they were full examinations. These improvements have seen increases in Mathematics, English Language, English Literature, Separate Sciences, Double Science, Italian and RE.
Mr Mike Whiteside, Deputy Headteacher at Saint Paul’s, said: “Congratulations to all our students on successfully completing their education in extraordinarily difficult circumstances, and securing such excellent grades. Teachers’ dedication and relentless focus on high standards, and students’ determination and resilience have been the foundation of this year’s results. Teachers have done all they can to keep students healthy and safe while continuing to deliver a high-quality education; students have worked tirelessly in the face of unprecedented change and challenge. They have worked so hard under difficult circumstances over the span of their GCSE two-year courses and they should be proud of their results.”
“Every single result has been earned by the student and is a fair reflection of their performance and abilities with students having to return back to full examinations. Pupils and staff of Saint Paul’s have reason to celebrate these latest results with some of our students achieving among the top grades in the country.”
69% of pupils at Saint Paul’s achieved a Grade 4 or better in English with 50% achieving a Grade 5 in English. 61% of pupils at Saint Paul’s achieved a Grade 4 or better in Mathematics with 36% achieving a Grade 5 in Mathematics. In total 54% of pupils achieved a Grade 4 in English and Maths. Similarly, in Italian, 87% of pupils achieved a Grade 4 or better with 92% achieving Grade 4 and above in ICT.
Thirteen Saint Paul’s pupils achieved Grade 9 in a variety of subjects including Mathematics, English Literature, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Double Science, Mandarin, Art, French, Religion and Polish placing them amongst the highest performing students in the country. One pupil achieved five Grade 9s with two grade 8s which is an extraordinary achievement.
Mr Whiteside added: “These results are a testament to the incredible young people of Saint Paul’s. My thanks go to all staff for their hard work and on-going commitment and to the parents and carers of our children for their wonderful support.”
Headline Performance Results
- Attainment 8 score (2019) – 37.4 Progress 8 score (2019) – -0.56
- % of pupils achieving a grade 5 or above in GCSE English and Maths – 23%
- % of pupils achieving a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths – 43%
- % of pupils achieving a grade 4 or above in GCSE English – 64%
- % of pupils achieving a grade 4 or above in GCSE Maths – 45%
- % of pupils staying in education or employment – 89%
- Attainment 8 score (2022) – 39.24 Progress 8 score (2022) – Not available as yet
- % of pupils achieving a grade 5 or above in GCSE English and Maths – 29%
- % of pupils achieving a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths – 54%
- % of pupils achieving a grade 4 or above in GCSE English – 69%
- % of pupils achieving a grade 4 or above in GCSE Maths – 61%
- % of pupils staying in education or employment – Not available as yet
For further information please see the DfE website
Congratulations go to the hard work and commitment of our students and staff and to the support of our parents.